Google
 
Web speakinggenerally.blogspot.com

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Rabindra Jayanti

Today is a very important day in the hearts of any true bengali. Even though I have spent most of my time outside Bengal, ever since I was a kid, Rabindra Nath Tagore's lyrical songs never failed to stir me. In my opinion, he was the last true geniuses that Bengal has produced. All his songs stir some chord or another in the heart of a Bengali.

It is indeed a pity that Bengal has not yet produced another genius like him, but then, he is truly unique. I think that he was the first asian winner of the Nobel Prize and the source of livelihood to the many exponents of his music.

I was reading the newspapers today and read about a major Bengali Singer who said that he is eternally grateful to Tagore because he earns his living from his renditions of Tagore's Songs.

Having gone to Santiniketan a couple of times, it is one of my great regrets that I didn't spend any time studying there.

For non-Bengali readers of this Post, do feel free to browse the following:

Click Here

and

Here

also

Here

Nobel Prize Link

Wikipedia Link

7 Comments:

Blogger tanvi said...

Hi I have read tagore's poetry but did not know of this being a non-bengali. Winning the nobel prize he made us all proud. Thanks for your comment on my blog. Btw happy Rabindra jayanti belated :)

4:26 PM  
Blogger Advitiya said...

Cool links...me huge fan of tagore's plays...my favourite is Chitra and I love his short stories.
Thanks for stopping by :D

11:12 PM  
Blogger Generally_Speaking said...

Hi Tanvi and Advitiya, thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Warped said...

ummm good for you..i guess im pretty unlucky that way coz ive always had hindi as my second language.. and i can hardly read bong.i can just read the name of the buses to save my soul.it makes me feel deprived that being a bong i cant read my own mother tongue.i feel alienated and anglicized but thats the way life is i guess.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Generally_Speaking said...

Hi Warped, you don't have to feel alienated/anglicized: pick up a Borno Porichoy and Learn how to read Bengali.

After all, if kids can learn how to read, why not you?

6:27 AM  
Blogger Warped said...

I can read and all,but i cant comprehehnd the SUDHOO BANGLA written in newspapers and books.I would love to read Feluda in bong..all my life ive read the bloody english translations..

9:35 PM  
Blogger Generally_Speaking said...

Warped, I know how you feel, even I can't read shudho bangla

2:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home