Google
 
Web speakinggenerally.blogspot.com

Saturday, June 17, 2006

Thank God for the virtual world

I’ve had a severe case of the Blues for the last few days guess that is why I haven’t been posting as much as I would have liked to. Also, I have been busy immersed in TV watching the Football world cup. Vicariously living the glories of fleet footed footballers from around the world seems to have made me lazier than usual. So far, I have restricted myself to watching just the 6:30 and 9:30 PM matches, saving myself for the knock-out stages when I’ll have to try my best not to fall asleep later at night.

Today I have also been able to get the old family Television in my room, courtesy my being able to convince my parents to buy a new one for themselves. All I have left to do is get a cable connection in my room and I am gonna be shouting GOOOAAALLL along with the commentators.

Coming back to getting the blues. Anybody wonder why they happen and what is the best way to get out of a case of mild depression for no rhyme and reason? I mean, there have been many times in my life when I have sunk deep into the quagmire of pessimistic thinking even though there doesn’t seem to be any reason for it. These periods seem to last for an indeterminate length of time and all of a sudden lo and behold I am my normal cheery self again!

I was feeling pretty low an hour ago, then I decided to come back to my blog and read some blogs of other denizens of the blogosphere. Reading about the raves, rants and experiences of other people snapped me out of this weird mood. As I mentioned in the heading of this post, thank god for the virtual world.

Of course, I have found that the best cure for something like this is music….non stop.


Do you occasionally suffer from the blues for no logical reason? If yes, how do you overcome it?

10 Comments:

Blogger Advitiya said...

I eat a whole lotta ice-cream and if that does not help...I call up all my friends and irritate them in the middle of the night or I read my favourite book, slowly(I read fast)...

1:26 AM  
Blogger scorpionragz said...

yeah, i generally cal up my boyfriend and go waaaaah till i'm satisfied!!! Else i go to sleep!!! or watch lotr!!!!

11:30 PM  
Blogger Ravptor said...

dude, double jack straightup should warm up the things...

Then take in the taste of the good ol whiskey through the rocks and finish it up with a dash of soda...

trust me man, it WORKZ. Have blues every friday evening after slogging the whole week :-)

12:10 AM  
Blogger Lalita Mukherjea said...

I have a collection of alphabetical zigsaw crosswords by Araucaria. I am trying to make it last, so when I am feeling low I treat myself to a puzzle from the collection. Cheers me up no end. :D

5:12 PM  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

"depression for no rhyme and reason" is called idiopathic depression.
I write to let it out.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

I totally get the blues here and there. Sometimes you have to let yourself wallow for a bit but then you have to try to go out and have fun. Get your mind on other things.

3:48 PM  
Blogger Generally_Speaking said...

Advitiya: Mmmmm....Ice cream, friends and book sounds great. Have been losing myself in books a lot this week

scorpionragz: Good solution. What if your BF has the blues at the same time? Happened once with one of my ex-Girlfriends. Both of us had the blues at the same time and talking to each other didnt help.

Ravptor: Thanks, but to be honest that doesnt help in my case. I've noticed that if I ever get drunk or inebriated when I have the blues, I end up even more depressed! And the hangover the next day doesnt help either.

Lalita: That's an innovative solution. Got to try it out sometime.

M (tread softly upon): Cool, didn't know that there was a clinical name for it. In my case, I end up getting a writer's block.

Linny: That's what I try to do to. Wallow until I hit rock bottom and then bounce back

7:04 PM  
Blogger Fresh Ink said...

Sure, i thin we all get the blues sometimes. If we were perpetually in a hyper mood, we'd go bonkers, I think. For me, its retail therapy, pigging out on ice cream, watching a totally sad film and cry my eyes out..whichever is convenient ;-)

1:06 PM  
Blogger Generally_Speaking said...

fresh ink: Good Point, though in my opinion, being blue is one of the worst feelings, I guess crying after a sad movie does have a theraupetic effect. In any case, one always feels good after a heartfelt crying session

6:57 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

All the time. I suffered terribly as a teenager, but used to chastise myself for being miserable for no good reason.

I find the best thing to do is *not* to beat myself up about it. Then make sure I eat properly and get enough sleep for a couple of days, do lots of the things I like doing and that usually sorts me out.

Hope you feel better soon.

5:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home